January 14, 2011 at 1:57 p.m.

The Northwoods River News | Walker Communications, LLC

The Northwoods River News story
The Northwoods River News | Walker Communications, LLC
The Northwoods River News | Walker Communications, LLC

Before The Northwoods River News came into existence on Nov. 2, 2010, the paper had been the six-day a week paper The Daily News for several decades. The Daily News now has a new name and it was born during the days of World War I, the newspaper can trace its heritage back to a full set of grandparents in 1882 when Rhinelander was founded.

The grandparents are four weekly newspapers which were published in the early years of the city's history: The Rhinelander News, The Oneida County Herald, The Eagle River Vindicator and The New North.

The New North, predecessor to The Daily News, started in 1882 and was the oldest weekly newspaper published in the area. It began operation one month after the village of Rhinelander was officially platted in 1882. Charles Barnes had the first newspaper up and running. He titled it appropriately The New North. Barnes had come to Rhinelander with his father, David, his mother, and two sisters. In 1886 Barnes sold the paper to George Bishop. He remained involved with the newspaper until his death in 1904.

The Rhinelander Publishing Company, which published the weekly Rhinelander News, was formed on Aug. 3, 1910. It dropped publication of The Vindicator and adopted the Rhinelander News name, publishing on Fridays.

On March 1, 1917, the paper was converted to a daily in order to provide better coverage of news of World War I. The New North was purchased by The Daily News in 1947 and merged with the Daily News. The combined papers were then carried under The Daily News masthead for several years.

The newspaper was purchased by the Frank J. Russell group from Michigan's

Upper Peninsula on Jan. 31, 1925, after the death of long-time publisher Harry Slossen. Clifford G. Ferris was named editor and manager and eventually purchased all of the stock from the group. Ferris sold the newspaper to the Scripps League in 1968 and The Daily News soon after moved to its current location on Courtney Street. It was the fourth home for the newspaper.

Dick Timmons became publisher of The Daily News on July 19, 1979, and served in that capacity for many years. Scripps League sold its newspaper to the Pulitzer Publishing Company in 1996. Pulitzer Publishing Company was purchased by Lee Enterprises in 2005. In 2005 Lee Enterprises sold The Daily News to BlueLine Media Holdings. BlueLine Media Holdings then sold the paper to Walker Communications LLC on Sept. 30, 2010.

Prior to the transition to Walker Communications, LLC, the press was sold and shipped abroad to a company in Germany.

That purchase has led to the new name and the variety of changes being seen in today's newspaper - The Northwoods River News, a subscriber-based publication, which is now published three days a week - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

A new and improved website for The Northwoods River News was launched in March of 2011, and The River News and River News Sports each joined Facebook at the end of 2011. Another social media avenue for River News Sports may also be found on Twitter.

Expanding into the electronic age, E-editions were instated at the end of 2012 to allow readers to get the full edition online.

The River News, relocated its office, a customer-friendly, inviting location, to across the parking lot into the Trig's Riverwalk Centre in April of 2012. And the previous Daily News building was sold to Oneida County in December 2012.

Comments:

You must login to comment.

Sign in
RHINELANDER

WEATHER SPONSORED BY

Latest News

Events

July

SU
MO
TU
WE
TH
FR
SA
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
SUN
MON
TUE
WED
THU
FRI
SAT
SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3

To Submit an Event Sign in first

Today's Events

No calendar events have been scheduled for today.